Monday, June 20, 2011

"For Most...God Was Not Pleased"

"For I want you to know, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, and all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink.  For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ. Nevertheless, with most of them God was not pleased, for they were overthrown in the wilderness." 
1 Corinthians 10:1-5

I was reading this today, and this thought from God struck me hard: These people, the Israelites, did all the "right" things - they "went to church every Sunday." They "sang all the songs and prayed all the prayers," they even witnessed miracles done by the living God, yet, "With most of them God was not pleased."  Why? Because they didn't know Him.  They didn't love Him.  

That's the scary thing - this is happening a lot in the Church of Jesus Christ today.  People are doing  all the "right" things according to the world's eyes, thinking they've made it right with God, but as we read in this passage, doing all the right things doesn't cut it.  God loves us.  He wants a relationship with us!  He doesn't want our filthy rags, He wants us to spend time with us in His presence, enjoying Him!

It says in Song of Solomon 2:10 and 14:  My beloved speaks and says to me: “Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away...let me see your face, let me hear your voice, for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely."  
 
Jesus wants to spend time with you! He. loves. you.  And He's not a harsh, mean, horrible God - He's a faithful, good, merciful Father!

Oh friends, I pray that none of us get to that Day, and He says to us "Depart from Me - I never knew you."  May we press in to know Christ in a way that we never have before! May He be our first Love - may our lives be worthy of His sacrifice!

2 comments: