Thursday, October 14, 2010

~Loodles~

In the books that Eric and Leslie Ludy write they often set the scenario that they are in the coffee shop, Loodles, writing their current book.  Upon hearing that it was located in Windsor, Colorado I decided that I had to go there.  So, a couple days ago, with laptop in tow, I set out on my journey.  The cool thing is, is that it's a mile from my house. (whoop whoop!)  I arrived there, and was standing in line for a few seconds when a guy appeared beside me.
"So, have you decided what you're going to order yet?"   I looked over and noticed a balding man, with twinkly blue eyes, and a contagious grin. 
"Not yet. I'm still deciding." 
"Well," he said, "are you leaning towards anything specific?"
I chuckled inside. "I was thinking about getting a frappe." 
Taking his eyes of the menu, he looked at me, "Can I lean you in the right direction?"  (side note: I knew the owner of the shop is Mark Ludy, Eric Ludy's brother, so I thought that this guy had to be Mark, cause he sounds just like Eric!)
".......sure." 
"OK. Get the Cherry Bomb. It's not on the menu.... wait, do you like cherry?" 
"Yes." 
"Alright, it's our newest concoction, and it's not on the menu yet, but trust me - it's good."  I thought about it, and then responded.
"OK, I'll try it."  So he walked behind the counter and started ringing me up.
Finally I decided to ask him, "Are you Mark Ludy?"  He quick looked up and then said, "Why, am I in trouble?" 
I laughed, "No." I proceeded to explain that my dad was attending Ellerslie this fall...he asked where I was from....small talk stuff.  I got my Cherry Bomb, and headed over to my table.  
The atmosphere at Loodles is great!  Mark has his drawing's hanging up all over the wall, and the whole time I was there he was walking around talking to all of his customers.  It's a really comfortable place to be. =)
About a half-hour later Mr. Ludy came walking over and asked if I wanted anything and then he brought me some water.  But the hilarious thing is that he was passionate about his ice.  He's just that type of man - excited about everything.  Anyhoo...he convinced me that this was THE BEST ice in the world, (you see, it has the perfect crunch). :P 
So, my time at Loodles came to a close, unfortunately, but I walked away from the shop energized and smiling.  I think the thing that makes Loodles so fun to be at is: 1) that Mark Ludy is excited for life, even down to the crunchiness of ice. 2) He's interested in his customers.  They aren't just customers to him, they're real people.

"Where good people and great coffee gather."  Loodles Sign

"The Flower Man" 
I want to, and am planning on buying this painting for my room, in a 9x13 tho.

Well, I hope that you were able to experience a small taste of what Loodles is like, but really, you just have to go there!  Have a fantabulous day!! =)

5 comments:

  1. Haha that is the greatest story! And he sounds JUST like a Ludy!!! :)
    Thank you so much for sharing these adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, he does! No prob, my pleasure. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting about your adventure at Loodles! I wish I could join you there for a lovely chat and coffee =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that would be so wonderful!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. Goodness. You do not understand how EXCITED I am for you being there. AND how much I wish I was there with you.
    You just can't understand it!!!

    ReplyDelete